Here we all sit, cooped up in our homes, apartments, bedrooms until who knows when. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am an extremely social person. Being kept away from the outside world essentially unable to leave the indoors gives me EXTREME anxiety. I was overwhelmed at first, but this article helped put into perspective the necessity of staying home and away from people during this outbreak.
My first thought when I was told I would be working from home was “Oh god, I’m going to spend so much money online shopping.”
So if you’re like me and don’t want to blow all of your money buying things you probably don’t need, check out this list of things to do while we are practicing social distancing:
- Read a new book, or pick up where you left off on an old one.
- Catch up on your favorite bloggers or Youtubers! (Shameless self-plug…)
- FaceTime family or friends. While you may not be able to physically be with them, virtually being there is better than nothing.
- Give yourself an at-home spa day! Pull out the face-masks, hair masks, nail polish… all the works.
- Pick up a side hustle! Or if you already have one, dedicate more time to it.
- Clean!!! Spring cleaning was coming for us anyway, so get a head start.
- Go through your clothes. Donate or sell ones you don’t wear anymore.
- Start a new Pinterest board. Maybe for a vacation, summer style inspo, or recipes you want to try!
- Speaking of food, try a new dish! You have all the time in the world, so start experimenting and make something fun.
- Do a bold makeup look. Try a new color or look you haven’t before. No one will see you if it’s bad, anyway!
- Get sweaty with an at-home workout. I know I’m definitely missing gym time being cooped up, so hop onto Youtube or a fitness app to keep the blood pumping. My favorites are the Nike Training App and Blogilates on Youtube!
- Catch up on sleep and self-care. Take more naps! It’s almost a guarantee you weren’t sleeping enough when you were going to work every day (at least I wasn’t!) Also implement good self-care habits by journaling, practicing meditation, and taking extended breaks from your phone.
- Open the windows and let fresh air in! Now, this might not be an option for all locations, but if you’re able, fresh air not only will make you feel better mentally, but it is also shown to help air out your place and limit exposure to the virus!
- Buy gift cards for small businesses that you can use later. Credit to my mom on this suggestion, but right now, small businesses are struggling to stay open. Especially with the new policy going into effect tomorrow (takeout only), they need our support now more than ever. Buy a gift card even if you don’t plan on using it now, so the business can still get some of the revenue they would normally take in.
- Lastly, and most likely the one you’ve heard time & time again, watch a new show! The reason I save this one for last is because while taking time to chill and & watch TV is a great option (see my last blog post for a list of shows I’m currently watching), it can also be negative for your productivity and mental health if it’s the predominant activity you engage in. Try to switch it up and hop off the couch every couple hours (or episodes!).
What are you doing while social distancing? Let me know in the comments!